Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thing #8 - Rss feeds

I have to be honest, initially I didn't spend alot of time choosing the feeds I wanted to share. I chose FoxNews and ESPN as my primary feeds as those are the two stations I watch the most. I included the Houston Astros feed since I am a big fan -even during their losing ways right now. I am also a birdwatcher and included the bird watching blog. When I did take the time to search for the RSS and newsreaders,
I liked the ease in locating the blog feeds through the Google Blog Search, but I also found it a little overwhelming. There is so much out there that it was hard for me to decide what feeds to post to my blog.

I also found it much easier to think of how the newsfeeds could be added for my own personal use, but not so much for use in my library at this time. As an elementary school librarian, I am not sure how easy it would be for my students to access my blog, read my postings, visit my favorite blogs, etc... It might work for my older students, but maybe not so much for my younger students. After some thought, I felt my blog might better serve the parents of my students.

I feel libraries should take advantage of the ease in which newsfeeds may be accessed by their patrons. I plan on adding some Internet connections to RSS and newsreaders through my Alexandria Catolog system. I know there is a way to add sites through the Explorer tab in Alexandria.

I recall talking about RSS at one of Alan November's seminars, but had never tried it. I am love the way I am learning something new with each of my lessons.

No comments: