Sunday, July 6, 2008

Thing #15 - The Future of Libraries

I watched the Teacher Tube video and I thought about my own college experience back in the early 70's. Things were pretty much the same back then in regards to the cost of textbooks you may never use, the cost of tuition, worrying about paying back loans, etc...The biggest and most obvious difference of course is the technological changes. It would have been great back then to have Internet access, phone service, and music at my fingertips 24 hours a day. I guess what I am trying to say is, I don't really feel too sorry for today's college students.

I read all five perspectives, and I enjoyed reading all of them. The one that I felt applied to me most at this time was the "Away from Icebergs." My school is slated to be torn down and rebuilt within the next two years, and I am really excited, and nervous, about my new library.

Mr. Anderson's quote "As a Web 2.0 reality continues to emerge and develop, our patrons will expect access to everything – digital collections of journals, books, blogs, podcasts, etc. You think they can’t have everything? Think again. This may be our great opportunity." With technology growing by leaps and bounds, I hope that my brand new library won't be outdated by the time they get it built. I am trusting in my school district and our Library Services team to make sure that doesn't happen.

No comments: