Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing #22 - Nings

I visited the Teacher Librarian Ning and the Texas School Librarian Ning web sites and liked the Teacher Librarian web site the best. It seemed to have more members and I liked the way the posts were set up, but I didn't join it at this time. I did, however, join the Texas School Librarian Ning just to take a look around the site, but wasn't overly impressed. To be honest, I don't feel either of these sites would be something I would visit on a regular basis. I understand the concept and the need for such sites, but I still have the problem of posting either questions or comments to blog sites. I guess if I was in a small school district, I could see the advantage of having a group of librarian friends to discuss topics of interest with and share ideas. But, being in a school district the size of Houston ISD, I have a close network of library friends and we meet on our own every couple of months just to share ideas, discuss issues in our school libraries, give advice and support, and really work at making our libraries some of the best in the district.
Overall, I just feel I am much more likely to use Teacher Tube than one of these Ning sites.

No comments: